Monday, January 19, 2009

Figure this one out!

During the Ravens game (yes, they lost to the irksome Steelers and will have to settle for watching the Super Bowl at home this year) there was an ad for some IBM computer doohickey that has the ability to perform 150,000 computations per second for every man, woman and child on this earth, plus Little Richard.


Two questions arise immediately, as questions will.

One - who needs that many computations done per second? Take your time with these things! There are 86,400 seconds per day (a computation that took me well over a second, and I was using the calculator on the desktop) and that would come to 12,960,000,000 computations, at that crazy rate. Plus tax. Who, I say, who needs that much math-in-a-hurry?

B - if you look at my desk calendar from, I think it was last October, you will see a computation actually performed by me in the space clearly marked for "Next Month's Planning". I wasted valuable November planning space to add 49 and 12 and come up with 61. Later when I saw this, I figured I should have been able to perform this simple arithmetic in my head, and then I thought of all the calculator and calendar people whose very livelihood depends on my ciphering!

12,960,000,000 computations per day. What for? Somebody hip me, dude!

1 comment:

Ralph said...

My theory: everything you tell your computer to do is translated by its "brain" into numbers, combinations of one and two. So every order it takes from you is a "computation" of those numbers. It boils down to a computer that's able to do many things in addition to walking and chewing gum at the same time. The more computations it can do seemingly at once, the faster and more powerful it is. How's that?