Saturday, August 17, 2024

The Saturday Picture Show, August 17, 2024

 

I look at this New Yorker cartoon and to me, what's funny is not the fish-out-of-water image of a cat in a barber's chair, and it's certainly not that it wants a head scratch. They want them every day. What cracks me up is the cat knowing the barber's first name is "Carl." It goes with David Letterman's rule that any name with a "K" sound (or hard "C") is funnier than a name without it. If the clipper's name was George, it wouldn't have been this funny. Frank would be hilarious, too.
My favorite part of paying compliments, besides the good feeling, is that it's one thing that it doesn't cost a nickel to pay.
I assemble the picture show every week by sorting through various sites and old pictures I've saved. I choose them at random on Tuesday night. Sometimes it seems like I'm working a theme, but trust me, I'm not that clever. So if it seems like a lot of cat pictures are in this assortment, it's not by design.  PS Look how happy Nancy is, surrounded by purrrfection!
I love my Orioles and all the various logos and pictures about them. Now that they are a great team again, it's fun to look back on when they were not so good, and be happy about it!
Sure, you can pay a bricklayer or stonemason a prince's ransom to build you a nice pizza oven in the yard. Or you and your buddy with a pickup can stop by Lowe's one Saturday for the bricks, go home, and start stacking! That pizza's gonna be great!

I can see the advantage for church ushers to use these long-handled baskets when it's time to take up the collection. Passing the plate can mean that some deadbeat will just pass it on without dropping in some lucre, or he can pretend not to notice the plate at all. But with this, an usher can gently tap a parsimonious parishioner on the shoulder or temple to shake a buck out of him.

This is where we get the term "busy as a bee." 
Your free wallpaper for the week is a view of our nighttime sky. We so rarely stop to look up and observe the majesty over us.
The window washer took time to leave a caricature of the feline who was watching him work!
Get ready for four years of Hollywood Olympic hype!

No comments: