Thursday, May 5, 2022

Take a shower

We (and by that, I mean just about everyone but I) did not get a very good look at the Lyrid's meteor shower in April, because the moon was too bright.

That's the reason I gave up going outside looking for meteor showers. It's always too bright or too dark or too February.

But hold on. If you're up and about at midnight these next few days, you will have a great chance to see some flying meteors, as the upcoming Eta Aquariids meteor showers will be putting on a show between midnight and dawn.

The Eta Aquariids get their name from the constellation Aquarius and their contents from the debris left over by Halley's Comet.

Wouldn't you think that Halley would get out there with a broom or vacuum and clean up its own debris? I mean, it's well rested. Last time we saw it was 1986, and since it's on a 76-year cycle, look for it again in 2061, the year when I celebrate my 110th birthday.

NASA (and they would be the ones to know this stuff) says the Eta Aquariids are visible from both the Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere, but the view will be better in the Southern Hemisphere, so head south and keep looking skyward! Up here in the Northern Hemisphere, the meteors will look like they are skimming the surface of Earth, but don't mistake them for that car from down the block with the neon lights that make it look like ET is back with us. 

 


These dudes streak across the sky at 148,000 miles per hour, and will remain active until May 27. I hope to as well. I can't make any promises about 2061.


 

No comments: