Wednesday, April 13, 2022

"Hey You!"

We look forward to this every year at about this time: Www.names.org is out with their list of the predicted-most-popular baby names in Maryland in 2022.

On the boys' side, Liam is #1, followed by Noah, James and Lucas.

In Maryland, Ethan and Daniel still trend popular, and that's not the case all over.

As for the girls side, let's just say that first grade teachers in 2028 can count on lots of Olivias, as well as Sophias, Avas, and Emmas.

And they don't get these lists from just asking ten friends or anything so unscientific, no siree Bob (not on the list).  Names.org derives information from the Social Security Administration birth data what they hear from users on their website.

They look back over 5 years' worth of names. They would have to go much farther back to see a day when "Mark" was still being bestowed upon infant males.


Predicted 10 Most Popular Names for Boys in Maryland in 2022

  • Liam
  • Noah
  • James
  • Lucas
  • Oliver
  • Benjamin
  • Henry
  • Ethan
  • William
  • Daniel

Can you hear the name Daniel without thinking of "Daniel is traveling tonight on a plane, I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain"?


Predicted 10 Most Popular Names for Girls in Maryland in 2022

  • Olivia
  • Sophia
  • Ava
  • Emma
  • Charlotte
  • Isabella
  • Mia
  • Amelia
  • Evelyn
  • Luna
I have to admit, the only "Luna" I know is the wife of Sgt. Grey on "The Rookie" - the likable, supportive Luna Grey. She is enough to make me a Lunatic for life.


I know it's radical, but I would like to see some provision made by which people are allowed to choose their own name when they turn 30. What to call them before that is something I haven't quite worked all the way out yet, but give me time.

As for my own moniker, I would have wished for "Leon," with the nickname "Tito." And I can't explain it.


No comments: