Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Buy The Numbers

I always seem to wind up in the same line at the Kwik-E-Mart: behind someone who is buying Lotto tickets for everyone in his family.  And his church. And every other person they ever met. I don't bother with it, the lottery. I know lots of people do and they get a thrill out of hoping. I personally get a hope out of thrilling, and I don't even know what that means!

A lot of the people in line at the K-E-M seem to know the clerk and his family, so they get into a long conversation about the time his daughter's car broke down in the Mall garage and the towtruck couldn't get in to help. At length, the customer gives the clerk his numbers, and invariably mentions that his digital skein consists of birthdays, old addresses, and his draft lottery number from 1969.

There is no reason to think that a personal list of "lucky" numbers is more likely to win than a random set chosen by the lottery computer, but why not? You rarely hear of anyone saying they used to have a set of lucky numbers that were not really lucky, so they do the random route. Winners will tell you why!

Last week, a woman from Detroit won a $482,217 jackpot from the Michigan Lottery's Fantasy 5 game. She happily said she has been sticking with her numbers for a long time, and now, they finally hit! 

The lady is 45 years old, but notice, "45" is not one of the numbers she picked: She selected the numbers 02-10-11-17-21 and played them on the Michigan Lottery website.

 



"I have been playing the same set of numbers, which is made up of special dates, for a long time," the player said. "When I logged in to my account and saw I'd won the jackpot, I called my mom in a panic. She thought something was wrong until I told her I'd won the lottery. We were both in shock and couldn't believe it!"

She's taking the jackpot and plans to pay off bills and augment her savings account.

"Winning is an awesome feeling. It's a huge relief and couldn't have happened at a better time," she said.

I just might have to make a number salad out of my birthday, Peggy's, the cats', and some other significant dates. I'll get back to you if I do.

If this blog suddenly ceases to publish, please assume that I hit it big and can be reached care of General Delivery, Beaver Trap, Maine.


No comments: