Friday, August 4, 2023

Never again

Early next year, Peggy will be old enough that we will be able to get exemptions for the Maryland Vehicle Emissions Inspection test for the cars. This is the state-mandated program that has singlehandedly solved the problem of air pollution in Maryland.

(Pause for laughter.)

Every so often, we have to drive way out of the way to take this test. There was a test station not far away, but the state saw fit to close that one. It has sat vacant for years, and serves as a practice area for graffiti spray painters and skateboarders, although I assume the property owner still gets a check every month from the state. 

The test itself used to be sort of an automobile colonoscopy, with a tube being stuck up your tailpipe, but now the technician connects a device to something underneath your dashboard to make sure you're not using a pirated connection to satellite radio or something like that. 14 simoleons later, you're free to go back home, safe in the knowledge that you have done your part to clean up the environment. Just don't say anything about that 18-wheeler belching black smoke on your air as you drive home.

AND while I'm bloviating, this techno-tale. I have been using a wireless keyboard and mouse on my PC. Recently, the PC started having performance issues - slow loading, slow deleting, letters and numbers I typed took their good old time showing up on the screen. I replaced the batteries, did all that, and finally, on the advice of my friend Eric I installed the keyboard and mouse that came with the machine - the wired kind.  And things are working better than ever. I feel a better connection to the world! What's a couple of wires between me and the computer, anyway?





No comments: