Saturday, August 5, 2023

The Saturday Picture Show, August 5, 2023

 



The harmonies! The outfits! The 70s! For the love of all that's Swedish, it's time for an ABBA revival!
It wasn't until I saw this picture that I realized most people don't use powdered laundry detergent anymore. The A&P used to sell All brand detergent in a one-gallon metal bucket that could then be reused for home cleanup chores. I'm a store-brand kind of laundry guy.
I met a soccer player from this city - Edinburgh, Scotland - and he told me that it rains there just about some part of every day. I immediately looked into job opportunities there. My kind of town, Edinburgh is!
If you were fortunate enough as a child to be given the book "Where The Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein, you were fortunate enough. It's hard to name anyone else who was an accomplished cartoonist, writer, poet, singer-songwriter, musician, and playwright. His songs were country hits and pop hits and all great. 
This is where they got the name for the color we call "Robin's Egg Blue."
Anyone else ready for autumn as I am? Bring out the pumpkin spice napkins and let's go!
Friends and family gathered for their joyous wedding celebration and we wished them the  happiest honeymoon ever. They got back and remarked that it was a little cooler. 
Speaking of which - the Orioles, who are in first place in the American League East while the damn Yankees are in last place, have a cool thing this year. A guy named Mr Splash hoses down fans in one section of the stands when something worthy of celebration happens on the field - and that happens a lot. Now they are getting celebrities to fill in for Splash, and this pinch-hitter was beloved former center fielder Adam Jones last Friday.
There's a documentary I want to see about Negro League baseball called "The League." So many great teams and players were so unfairly kept out of the major leagues. This team was the Homestead Grays, who played in the stadium in Washington, D.C. and regularly outdrew the hapless Senators of the American League.
My Eddie and I do our exercises together often, and she will not let me goof off!

No comments: