Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Where are you?

I know what you're thinking....free advice costs nothing and it's worth the price.

But let me give you just a little of it.

Recently in Baltimore there was a mass shooting at the Brooklyn Homes. 28 people were shot, and two others, so unfortunately, were killed. 

The news played the audio tapes of people in distress calling 911 for help. You could hear the commotion and panic in the background as they called and said a number of people have been shot, please send help, we need police and an ambulance....

"OK. Where are you?"

The advice, for what it's worth.  Always know where you are! It sounds silly, maybe, but I can't tell you how many times in my 911 days people just didn't have a handle on where they were, especially out of their homes, reporting an auto accident. You would be amazed at how many people call every highway - I95, I83, I70, I895, I795, I695 "The Beltway" -  when, in fact, among those roads, only I695 is our beltway, engirdling the city and county.

My advice, if you're in a car or driving one, pay attention to the road signs, know what road you're on, and your direction of travel. If you go out somewhere, mentally file away the address or at least the closest street names. When you need help, you'll need it in a hurry, and being able to tell 911 your exact location will save time.

"Yes, 911, I am at 3144 North Pierce Avenue, Springfield, Missouri 65803."

Just always assume that within the next 5 minutes, someone will ask you exactly where you are. Eventually, you'll be right!

1 comment:

Andrew W. Blenko said...

I will never forget hearing an explosion near my home 30 years ago and wanting to call it in, but I really couldn’t offer any specifics so I chose to let someone else who could provide better info make the call. I would have just tied up a phone line and a dispatcher.