Friday, October 19, 2018

Making Up For Shortcomings

I'm not about hunting, but if you're interested, go right ahead. It's your life; if you feel like shooting defenseless animals, be my guest, and please accept my firm and hearty disapprobation.

And I know a guy who goes out and reduces the deer population of Pennsylvania every autumn and then donates the venison to homeless shelters all over, so that's for the good.  What's for the bad is senseless killing, which brings us all the way to Africa by way of Idaho.

Blake Fischer, an Idaho Fish and Game commissioner (we're on a great skein here, with people whose names match their jobs) decided there weren't enough animals to kill for his liking in that state, so he oozed over to Africa and shot up the joint, bragging on social media of killing “at least 14 animals in Namibia*” including “a giraffe, leopard, impala, sable antelope, waterbuck, kudu, warthog, gemsbok (oryx) and eland.”

Seemingly unable to stuff his gigantic hubris into any normal-sized container, he went on, “I shot a Leopard. Super cool, super lucky. The Leopard is one of the big 5, as in one of the 5 animals in Africa that will kill you before you can kill it. Crazy cool animal. They are normally super nocturnal, so this was really unique.”

Well. You must be one proud Blake.

And when the complaints piled up faster than dead animal bodies, the governor who appointed him, Butch Otter (name!) happily accepted his resignation.  Of course, Fischer went the "this is not who I am" route:

“I recently made some poor judgments that resulted in sharing photos of a hunt which did not display an appropriate level of sportsmanship and respect for the animals I harvested. While these actions were out of character for me, I fully accept responsibility. … I apologize to the hunters and anglers of Idaho who (sic) I was appointed to represent.”


Image result for baboons
Baboons NOT killed by this Fischer person

Fischer sent a lot of photos in the mass email, showing himself and his wife, Beth, posing with numerous animals that were happily living until the Fischers arrived. Fischer chirped that this was Beth's first trip to Africa, according to the message, and she wanted to watch him and "'get a feel' of Africa."

"So I shot a whole family of baboons.  I think she got the idea quick." the email read. "After we left all of the animals in Africa that were still alive we pretty happy we were on a plane headed home!" (sic) (sick).

This hell of a man is proud of himself, and his online autobio says he is the owner of  B.A. Fischer Sales Co., Inc. in Boise. He says he is active in Big Brothers Big Sisters and was recently named Big Brother of the Year by BBBS. And he wants to address the decline in the number of people hunting. 

I'm not at all certain the world needs more Blake Fischer-types. But I do feel that Blake Fischer could use some emotional therapy.
_____________________________________________________
*Trump calls this nation "Nambia."

No comments: