Saturday, July 28, 2018

The Saturday Picture Show, July 28, 2018

 You will kindly allow me to whine a little more about how shabbily country music performers dress nowadays. Tshirt, jeans, ball cap, that's the look. Meanwhile, it was 50 years ago that Hank Snow and the Rainbow Ranch Boys dressed like this. That's Hank in the pink Nudie suit. OK, Luke and Blake and Keith?
 Speaking of how people dress for work, this fellow, Manny Machado, now dresses in Dodger Blue. But as he left Baltimore for greener blue fields, he gave thanks for all he learned from being an Oriole, so we have that to remember.
 By the time the John Cusack movie "Say Anything" came along in 1987, I was already deep into a career, but had I known of this credo earlier, I would have adopted it for my own. It speaks of a higher truth.
 Uhhhhh...let's try the next place down the road...yeah.
 I've seen this before but until now, I had no idea that Trump University had a College of Architecture and Planning.
 When I was in elementary school, there sprang up a new development near us with "new, modern, up-to-date, forward-looking" designs for the houses.  Sixty years later, I drive by those houses, and they look a little odd, like a kid who shows up for the school dance dressed like Bjork with the feathers and all, and no cares. Meanwhile, everyone today wants a house that either looks like a farmhouse right out of "American Gothic," or a mini-mansion that looks like a library.
 I was a big fan of Milton Berle. I love brash comedy and he personified that. When he dressed as a woman and got hit with a pie in the face, I cheered for the days when subtle humor was sent to its room without supper.
I have to assume that this was a one-shot photo, because no one can get a kid to go through the same shenanigan over and over while they fuss with the camera. You get one shot, and this one sure worked out well!

No comments: