Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Take note

I like to write little sticky notes and then stick them on places that I am sure to see as I rush out to do the things I need to do.  For instance, let's say I have to run out and get stamps, salad fixings, a half gallon of milk, gas for the car, light bulbs, and beer.

"I have to run out and get stamps, salad fixings, a half gallon of milk, gas for the car, light bulbs, and beer."

OK, now let's say I left my sticky note on the garage side of the kitchen door and can't remember my errands.

Image result for list of chores handwrittenPeggy uses the "memo" feature on her phone, which is very handy, and by simply entering the data onto the Android, she doesn't have to worry about the sticky note at all.

Here's a method I learned a long time ago to aid in memorizing a list.  First, associate a rhyming word with the numbers 1-10. (If you have more than 10 things to do in one afternoon, you're on your own.)  

Remember:  1= run 2=shoe 3=tree 

4=door 5=hive 6=sticks

                   7= heaven 8= gate 9= pine and 10= den.

To fix that list in my mind, I picture 1) a book of stamps running down the street 2) salad fixings packed into a shoe 3) bottles of milk hanging off a tree 4) a gas pump hidden behind a door 5) a beehive built in a lightbulb box  and 6) a case of beer underneath a huge pile of sticks.

Of course, this is complicated and takes some practice.  The really foolproof way to remember to take your sticky note as you leave is to put a huge sticky note right over the door you'll walk out of, a sticky that says "DON'T FORGET OTHER STICKY NOTE!"




No comments: