Friday, April 21, 2017

I was one of those Academia Nuts

This is the time of year when high school students are anxiously, eagerly, clicking on emails from colleges and universities to which they have applied for admission.  They used to rip open envelopes brought by the USPS, but that's so 2000.

And just as eagerly, I tear open 2,000 envelopes from ValPak every week.

But that means nothing to Ifeoma White-Thorpe, a senior at Morris Hills High in New Jersey, because she has now been accepted at all eight of the Ivy League schools - Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, the University of Pennsylvania, Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth, plus Stanford, and Essex Community College, for us "Hairspray" fans.

Harvard was first to offer her a spot in the Class of 2021, and she was all set to go Northern Crimson (the over-the-Mason-Dixon-Line version of Alabama) until the other acceptances started rolling in.

Now she has the luxury of choosing.

"I got into Harvard early action so I figured I'll just go there, so then I got into all the others and I was like, 'Wait, now I don't know where I want to go,'" White-Thorpe told ABC 7 in New York.   She told the TV news thats schools offering merit scholarships and financial aid will be higher up on the list. 

To attend Harvard this academic year, people (and their parents) are shelling out $63,025 for tuition, room, board, and fees combined, just so you have an idea.

Ms White-Thorpe will study biology in college and wants to have a career in public health.

Wherever she winds up, White-Thorpe plans to study biology and pursue a career in public health. 

I've already learned something from her! "Early action" just entered my lexicon as an adverbial phrase.  

I learned early action to listen to people smarter than I. They're everywhere!

No comments: