Thursday, September 15, 2016

It was good enough for Einstein

Here it is, September already, so of course our thoughts go to pumpkin-flavored food and drink. Notwithstanding the fact that very few people eat, and even fewer bake, real pumpkin pie anymore, everyone about breaks their necks to get to 'Sbux for a cup of coffee that also has pumpkin spice syrup (sugar, condensed milk, annatto - for that realistic pumpkin color, stirred together with "natural and artificial flavors.")  And if you taste nutmeg, you're really tasting something called sabinene. 

And your coffee may taste like cloves.  You smell cloves, you inhale clove-y goodness, and you're sure you taste cloves, but brother, that ain't cloves.  It's good old-fashioned eugenol.

And I'm no doctor, no food scientist, but I do read a lot, and I read that a grande (16 oz) cuppa PSL delivers 40 % of your daily portion of saturated fat.  And you haven't even had breakfast yet!

And you get  10% of your sodium (240 mg) in that cup, along with 50 grams of sugar. That's a little more than 3 TABLESPOONS of sugar (not teaspoons) so you'll feel sweet all day.  Or something.

I'm a very simple man.  I like pumpkin pie, yes, prefer sweet potato, but I'll be honest enough to say I look at both of those pies as a vessel for delivering vast amounts of Reddi-Wip into my cavernous maw at holiday dinners.  And my hot beverage of choice is tea.  Plain old black tea, not Earl Grey or Herbal or peppermint or chai or Pu-erh.

If I wanted my tea to taste like pumpkin pie I would stir a little bit of pumpkin puree into my mug and add a little nutmeg and cinnamon. I suggest that to people to try with their coffee and they look at me like I told them to sit around their porch wearing fuzzy slippers.


No comments: