Sunday, March 22, 2015

Sunday Rerun: To Thine Own Self

I found this image online just by stumbling around, and it really struck me that it would be a much easier world to stumble around in if everyone just decided to keep it real.

That's what the young 'uns say, right?  Keep it real.

For one thing, I have always been mystified by people who can keep juggling so many images at one time; it's hard to tell who they really are.  There are people who are willing to talk "street" to some people and then talk all high-falutin' with the swanky set.  I couldn't pull that one off, as I am not smart enough to remember what each different person thinks I am.  But you hear this sort of thing all the time, don't you?

"Yeah, dude, you rule, you're the bomb.  These DVDs kick major butt; thanks for burning them for me. I ain't looking to pay Redbox no dollar when you can copy 'em... Oh, hello, Mrs Worthingsham!  Lawrence and I were just discussing some significant movie releases, and he was kind enough to allow me to borrow his copy of "The Black Swan" so that my little sister can see it.  She so enjoys the ballet."



This is more than being Eddie Haskell; it's more like trying to be all things to all people, and Attention! Everyone who would try to do that: You can't.  You won't.

People who will run games with you, pretending to be your friend while running you down behind your back: more bad news.  How can they remember what they said to whom?  It must be some awful gift they have.




Iron-Bar Hilton at Jessup, MD
Rockports: Mallwalkers' favorites
It's just about the worst thing to be a phony, to have such a front built up that hardly anyone knows the real you.  Personally, I am about as far from perfect as it's possible to be without residing in the Jessup cut, but I'd never try to claim anything but my meager belongings, my little bit of knowledge, and the greatest thing in my life: my wonderful Peggy.  I drive a beat-up truck (I do my own beating-up on it), I generally wear khakis or jeans, a sport shirt and Rockports, and I feel very very sorry for guys who have to look at themselves in the mirror as they shave and see a bogus countenance leering back at them.

It seems that I have been reading a lot about people who have three or four personas going on, and I wonder why they would bother.  If all you have is all you are, and if you're being the best "you" you can be, please be assured that you are doing a lot better than the fakers.  Be yourself!  No one else can do it better!

No comments: