Tuesday, December 20, 2011

DVR alert!

I rarely make television advisories, or recommendations, because what I consider funny, most people think is serious, and vice versa.  In fact, I still wonder why there is no canned laughter accompanying the "Today" show, but I supply my own chuckles, chortles and guffaws whenever "Face The Nation" or "Teen Mom" loom on the screen. 

But - if you love a good laugh and a pop classic Christmas song, you have to make sure to see David Letterman this Friday (12/23).  This is something he does every year on the final show before Christmas: the guests are Jay Thomas and Darlene Love, and Jay tells his Lone Ranger story and throws a football at a Christmas tree, trying to dislodge a meatball where the star at the top ought to be, and Darlene sings "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)." 



Jay Thomas is one of those guys that, when he comes on, you go "Oh, I know him from..." and the answers are many.  He's a DJ on Sirius, he's an actor on TV shows, movies and the stage, and he does voiceovers for a lot of shows.  It takes talent to tell the same story over and over for years and years and still make it work.  George Bush tried to do that and failed, but Jay will have you bustin' a gut with his Lone Ranger story, it says here.

Darlene Love is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for her work with Phil Spector (l).  That's her voice on hits such as "Today I Met The Boy I'm Gonna Marry" and "He's a Rebel," although Spector, who added his own peculiarity to everything he did, labeled the records as being by "The Crystals," even though Darlene did the singing, accompanied by her backup group, the Blossoms. 

It's Friday night, 11:30 Eastern time on CBS, and I am pretty sure you'll like it! 

No comments: