Tuesday, July 12, 2011

You Never Know

My sister had a very close friend who passed away the other day following a long battle with ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease.

She was a wonderful woman, friend to hundreds, mother, wife, grandmother, mother-in-law - just about everything she could be to everyone she knew.  She is gone, and the only good part about is that it did not come suddenly, so people had the chance to say goodbye, at the very least.



It worries me that every morning, no one has the guarantee that they will be around to see the evening of the sun.  And a lesson I have learned over the years is to leave nothing unsaid, especially if it's good.

How many times have we all lost someone suddenly, and the first thought we have is that we wish we had taken time to tell them we love them, appreciate them, are grateful for their help and support, or even something as simple as, "Thank you for brightening the day."  

I was watching the Beatles movie "A Hard Day's Night" for the ten-thousandth time the other day. Remember the old guy who played Paul's grandfather and stirred things up all time?  They said, "He's a mixer."  I guess that's the polite way of saying "He's an agitator."  

I like to stir things up, if only to engender the lively discussions that ensue. I might get into rather heated political dialogues online and elsewhere, but please don't think for a second that I allow a political or sociological difference to shade my personal opinion of people.  There might be people with whom I am totally in line, ideologically, and yet I don't find them all that appealing as people - and there are lots of men and women with whom I find no common ground when we talk about the news, and I like them personally and respect them deeply as well. 

I'm saying this just for one reason, and that is, if you like a person, it doesn't matter if they agree about what it takes to make a good president.  And if you like a person, it's best to let them know it.  

Even if you're cheap like me, it doesn't cost a nickel to pay a compliment.  Thanks for reading this, and unless you are both a reader and a heartless murderer, thief or sex abuser, chances are very good that I like you and love you!

Just be careful today and every day.  We all need all the friends we can keep.  

No comments: