Friday, July 16, 2010

We'll be Beck right after this

In October of 1974, the satirical group known as Firesign Theatre released an album called "Everything You Know Is Wrong," in which a wacky futurist prophet - sort of a Glenn Beck precursor - made the following points for his rabid audience:

"Dogs flew spaceships! The
Aztecs invented the vacation! Men and women are the same sex! Our forefathers took drugs! Your brain is not the boss! Yes! That's right! Everything you know is wrong!"

Of course, now we are able to look back at 1974 and comprehend just how wrong we were, with the exception of the Aztec thing, which of course was quite true. (Cancun).

But I don't know; maybe I'm growing up a tiny bit, because more and more I talk back less and less to people who say things that are just blatantly wrong. And no, I'm not talking about people who will tell you that they intend to vote for entertainer Sarah Palin for president if they get 1/2 a chance. Or people who will tell you that cricket is more fun than baseball, or fish sandwiches should not be served with tartar sauce. These are opinions, and everyone is entitled to one at a time.

No, I am talking about people who just plain get stuff wrong. And recently, a woman I know said out loud that Marilyn Monroe held advanced degrees in psychology, and only affected the ditzy blond affect in her acting roles. I can't say whether or not Ms Monroe had to augment her natural ditziness, but I know for certain that she did not attend college, let alone be graduated from one. (It didn't hamper her career, either).

But I chose not to make a deal of it.


Then the other morning, I was getting gasoline in the truck, and the guy at the next pump started in on how my gas mileage was. I said my Tacoma did very well in that department and he said,"It's a shame they don't make them any more." I thought he must have been talking about something else that "they" don't make, so I asked him what was it that they don't make and he said, "Tacomas."

Friends, if Toyota isn't making Tacomas any more, then there ain't a cow in Texas, and they're raising them there all the time.

But let him think he's right! What's the diff? There's no use in trying to dissuade a made-up mind. And plus, I have to save all my strength to help people be graduated from the tough curriculum at Beck
University.

Everything that's wrong, he knows.

No comments: