Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Life is a pill

The wonders of modern pharmacology give us a lot to think about. We see commercials all day for "the little pill with the big sto-ry to tell" and everyone feels better for taking theirs.

And hats off to the people who come up with the names of medicines!

Take Cisplatin, and thank God you don't have to. It's for serious illness. But just imagine telling the pharmacy you're there to pick up your pills, and their name has "splat" right in the middle.

How about we start you on a regimen (not a "regime," please!) of Moxifloxacin? David Letterman used to say that any name with a K in it is automatically funny. (I qualify twice!) But Moxifloxacin! The pill with two X's!

And who wouldn't chortle when it's time to take their Phensuximide? Take two - they're small!

I got to thinking about all this because I opened the medicine cabinet here at the Lazy 'C' Ranch, and I saw this. 

And I wondered about how many other ways there are to take pills, and my list ends with "by mouth." I guess they think I am one of those people who need really specific instructions...




 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh yes! And the national television news in the evening is 15 minutes of news and another 15 minutes of drug advertising. “Ask your doctor if it’s right for you.”