Friday, December 8, 2023

1973 - 2023

 


Today, Peggy and I celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary, and I started the day as I always do, marveling at the golden band on my third-finger-left-hand, because marriage has been so wonderful for us. We had no idea what to expect from marriage or love or life itself as we stood in the chapel at Towson Methodist Church, but we figured it out.

I was a country music radio DJ at the time, and Peggy, a legal assistant. I had moved on to more stable lines of work by 1986, when Alabama (the music group, not the entire state) released a song by Dave Loggins, who also wrote "Pieces of April" for Three Dog Night, and "Please Come To Boston" for himself. 

The song is called "She And I," and every time I hear it, it hits me in the feelings because it's like Loggins knew our story when he wrote it. It's just that we have always found our own way as we paraded through the years together. We don't socialize a whole lot, never sail away for Hong Kong, Baluchistan, or Nome, we mainly don't bother hearing anyone else telling us to do it their way, and we expect that others won't ask us to tell them how to live. When people say, "You two are always together!," I wonder why we wouldn't be.

To those who have been with us from the beginning, and to those who hopped in along the way, thanks for loving us. We love you too!


She and I live in our own little world
Don't worry about the world outside
She and I agree
She and I lead a perfectly normal life
Ah but just because we aren't often seen socially
People think we've something to hide.
But all our friends know we're just a little old fashioned
She and I
Oh ain't it great 
Ain't it fine 
To have a love someone that others can't find
Ain't it wonderful to know all we ever need is just the two of us
She and I


She and I share with everybody else
The same wants, needs and desires
She and I save
She and I pay on everything we acquire
Ah but just because we aren't often seen separately
People think we live one life.
Its hard for them to see how anyone could be as close as
She and I

Oh ain't it great 
Ain't it fine 
To have a love someone that others can't find
Ain't it wonderful to know all we ever need is just the two of us
She and I
Ain't it wonderful
She and I live in our own little world, ain't it wonderful
Ain't it fine






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. A wonderful milestone I had hoped to achieve.

Andrew W. Blenko said...

Congratulations Mark and Peggy. We’ve never met (although I hope to someday), but you two sure seem perfectly suited for each other!

Tonya Smith said...

Congratulations on your Golden Anniversary! May the music of your love continue to play for eternity.

Anonymous said...

Happy Annivetsary, we are right behind you for 50!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mark and Peggy πŸ₯‚πŸΎπŸ’œ

Lisa said...

Congratulations to the sweetest couple I know!