Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Itchy and Scratchy

I don't play the lotto, and the only time I have anything to do with scratchers is after I take the trash down to the end of the driveway and a skeeter gits me, so I can say that I am always happy when someone strikes it rich in the lucrative career field of playing the Maryland Lottery.

Dateline CARNEY, MD, where the news is:  "A 61-year-old Baltimore veteran is calling himself “Million Dollar Man” after winning a $1 million top prize on a Maryland Lottery scratch-off."

The lucky winner is a bus driver who plays the Racetrax and scratchers all the time, and diversified is portfolio by playing the Hot 777 game when they started that in April.

His big day started off as a big bad day. He got to work and realized he left his phone at home. From that, he deduced that "something out of the normal" would happen to him that day, so on the way home to grab that phone, he stopped at the Royal Farms (RoFa) in Carney to play his number hunches. 


He only won a little bit with his first ticket, so he went for the $20 Hot 777 scratch-off because it offers a top prize of a million US simoleons. He scratched, he won what he thought was a thousand simoleons, and then when he scanned the ticket, bingo! A cool million bucks.

He wishes to remain anonymous, this million dollar winner. He's won a few thousand before, but nothing like this, ever! “I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many zeros together,” he says. 

His plan is to put the swag in a high-yield savings account and also make some investments to benefit his four grandchildren as well.

I bring all this up if only to point out that my loving wife and I are longtime residents of Carney, Maryland, so who knows? Maybe good luck will touch us all.


No comments: