Saturday, July 1, 2023

The Saturday Picture Show, July 1, 2023

 

I have several questions about this intake procedure. I don't expect answers.

The Fire Department of New York had to do a "roof rope" rescue, one of the toughest operations in the firefighters' manual. The only way to save this man from his burning fourth-floor apartment was out the window and down to the street, and they pulled it off - another daily miracle for New York's Bravest!

You love him as Carl Winslow on "Family Matters," and as Sergeant Al Powell in "Die Hard" twice. Reginald VelJohnson is TV Dad all the way! 

Think about the Fourth of July in 1942, seven months after Pearl Harbor. Patriotism then was not something one displayed by wearing a hat or slapping a sticker on the car. It was something one lived, earnestly and fully.
If I enter your house, I can live if you have no cats, but I get really weirded out in houses with no books handy. I always feel like coming back later with a box of extra books.
It's #6 for me.
After working a shift at the A&P one day, I picked up Peggy after work, and she needed something from the A&P over her way. So I went in with her, still in my tie and nametag, and the next thing you know, people were asking me where was the soap and the cereal and the ginger ale. I didn't ask for extra pay, though. 
Our library branch has a very nice arrangement; there's a drive thru window for picking up books you've requested online, and a dropbox too. Very handy for the avid reader who is not so spry, or is busy, or both. Oh, and we have no Cathy.
When I see junked cars on their way to becoming razor blades or props in billboard ads, I think about that long-ago happy day when Dad came home from the dealership with a brand-new Hedgehog LE, and the whole gang piled in for a ride, and lots of happy times ensued until the transmission fell out.
She loves rock and roll and the Orioles! Joan Jett has been an O's fan for a long time. She sang the National Anthem at a few games and usually shows up for spring training. She's here with star catcher Adley Rutschman, who has anything but a Bad Reputation.

No comments: