Monday, February 27, 2023

Strawberry Letter #24

Well, look at that calendar! February 27th again, and you know what that means  - it's National Strawberry Day!

I have to be honest, of all the berries, I rate straw- right down there with boysen- and huckle-. They are pretty to look at, but they taste...I dunno...sandy or something.


But I can find something good about everything, and this is the day I treat myself to lots of listens to both the Shuggie Otis original and the Brothers Johnson versions of the great 70's psychedelic favorite, "Strawberry Letter 23." 

Shuggie is a guitarist, singer, and songwriter, born Johnny Alexander Veliotes, Jr. His father was John "Johnny Otis" Veliotes, who was the guy behind a lot of great tunes in the 1950s, including "Ma (He's Making Eyes at Me)," recorded by Johnny Otis and His Orchestra with Marie Adams and the Three Tons of Joy) and the original "Willie and the Hand Jive." 

Shuggie wrote the song after writing 22 letters to his girlfriend, making the song the 23rd of his "strawberry letters." Strawberry papers were very popular back then. 



Since it's National Strawberry Day, I think we all should sing along with either Shuggie or the Brothers Johnson, so here are the lyrics:


Hello, my love, I heard a kiss from you

Red magic satin playing near, too

All through the morning rain I gaze, the sun doesn't shine

Rainbows and waterfalls run through my mind

In the garden, I see, west purple shower bells and tea

Orange birds and river cousins dressed in green

Pretty music, I hear, so happy and loud

Blue flowers echo from a cherry cloud


Feel sunshine sparkle pink and blue

Playgrounds will laugh

If you tried to ask, "Or is it cool?" (Is it cool?)

If you arrive and don't see me

I'm gonna be with my baby

I'm free, flyin' in her arms

Over the sea


Stained window, yellow candy screen

See speakers of kites

With velvet roses digging freedom flight

A present from you

Strawberry letter twenty-two

The music plays, I sit in for a few

No comments: