Thursday, October 13, 2022

Yo quiero Taco Bell

When I was younger, I was busier, working and doing whatnot for my parents, so we ate a lot of fast food. I always loved Taco Bell. I think Peggy did too, but not as much as I did. And every time I went in there, I thought of radio legend Don Geronimo saying that he would buy three Nacho Supremes and devour them for a late afternoon snack. I wanted to try to match that but I never did. 

The Bell was like catnip to me, and with two locations close by the Lazy 'C,' I was never far from a bagful of heaven. And for those rare days when I didn't feel like having a taco, the Bell Beefer did the job- it was the taco meat on a hamburger roll. Best of both worlds, right?


But being retired means I cook almost all of our meals, and while I can't say my tacos and tostadas are as good as Taco Bell's, I don't get many complaints. 

And maybe I'll just have to swing in there a time or two, because it says here that by the time this year drags to a close, Taco Bell is supposed to be bringing back some discontinued menu items!

Remember the Double Decker Taco: that was the answer to "what kind of shell do I want?"  You got a hard taco wrapped in a soft flour tortilla, with refried beans as the middle layer. That was on the menu from 1995 until 2019 when, apparently, someone in the home office went crazy. That was the time when they also cut out Fiery Doritos Locos Tacos, among several others.

Maybe it will be one of the originals, from 1970: The Enchirito, which was sort of an enchilada and sort of a burrito...beef, beans, and onions tucked in for a good time in a soft flour tortilla, swimming in shredded cheddar and red sauce. That little crowd-pleaser got the boot in 2013, and who knows why?

Taco Bell Headquarters says the Enchirito and the Double Decker Taco are “two of the most requested menu items.” Voting has been going on online and the results will be announced soon at a gala event emceed by Donald Trump.

And all this came about because the public lobbied successfully for the company to bring back the Mexican Pizza, which was recently reinstated to a permanent spot on the menu.

“On the heels of the love and passion we saw for Mexican Pizza, we wanted to continue elevating the voices of our most loyal fans by giving them exclusive access to a uniquely digital experience that fosters brand love,” Taco Bell chief brand officer Sean Tresvant said in the press release.

Don't we all love corporate-speak? Say, Sean, how about another round of Cinnamon Cinnamon Crispas?



1 comment:

Andrew W. Blenko said...

I often wondered if the names on their menu items (Enchirito?) were real or made up! But yes, for $5 you could eat quite well,