Friday, October 7, 2022

Yacht Rock

By now, I hope that everyone has had a chance to see "Caddyshack" at least five times. That was the movie from 1980, starring Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield, Ted Knight, and Bill Murray concerning the antics of the snobs at a golf club and the grits who worked there.

It's a movie that probably inspired more lines repeated by more people than any others, lines like:

  • “Remember Danny – Two wrongs don’t make a right, but three rights make a left.”
  •  “I’m going to give you a little advice. There’s a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.” 
  • Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he’s been club champion for three years running and I’m no slouch myself.   Ty Webb: Don’t sell yourself, short Judge, you’re a tremendous slouch.
  • “Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?”
  •  “Let’s go, while we’re young!” (I still use this one, even though it is hardly applicable anymore.)
  • “Oh, this your wife, huh? A lovely lady. Hey baby, you must’ve been something before electricity.” 
  • "So I jump ship in Hong Kong and I make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I’m a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald… striking. So, I’m on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one – big hitter, the Lama – long, into a ten-thousand-foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? So we finish the eighteenth and he’s gonna stiff me. And I say, “Hey, Dalai Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.” And he says, “Oh, uh, there won’t be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.” So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice.
  • "What an incredible Cinderella story. This unknown comes out of nowhere to lead the pack. At Augusta, he's on his final hole. He's about 455 yards away. He's going to hit about a two iron, I think. Well, he got out of that. The crowd is standing on its feet, here at Augusta. The normally reserved Augusta crowd is going wild. For this young Cinderella who's come out of nowhere, he's got about 350 yards left. He's going to hit about a five iron, l expect. Don't you think? He's got a beautiful back swing. That's - oh! He got out of that one! He's got to be pleased with that. The crowd is just on its feet here. He's a Cinderella boy. Tears in his eyes, I guess, as he lines up this last shot. He's got about 195 yards left, and he's gonna - looks like he's got about an eight iron. This crowd has gone deadly silent. Cinderella story. Out of nowhere. A former greenskeeper now about to become the Master's champion. It looks like a miraculous - it's in the hole! It's in the hole!" (This is heard at our house every time I accidentally have to watch golf on TV while waiting for the news to come on.)

So if you remember all that, you remember the name of the boat on which Rodney Dangerfield comes sailing, with its anchor sinking Judge Elihu Smails's boat "The Flying Wasp." It was the Seafood! And now you can own it! 


The powerboat is still afloat (which is more than we can say for Rodney Dangerfield or Ted Knight). And it's up for sale!

The powerboat Seafood is a 60-foot Striker built in 1979, is up for sale, and recently renovated. It's 19 feet wide and has all-new upholstery and "house systems" (electric, plumbing, what-have-you) and updated cockpit and cabins. It has three staterooms plus a master bedroom, full kitchen, storage space. You could say it is a titanic boating value, and you could own it!

If your ship has come in and you've got the stock market beat, pull out a measly $349,000 and call Lidia Goldberg at United Yacht Sales. Then get a new hat and a bowl of soup and invite us all aboard!



 .


 


 


 

No comments: