Thursday, September 6, 2018

Red Bull by the horns

Today's lesson is all about remembering to do a favor any time we get the chance to.

Ask Sue Manchester about that.  She's in North Carolina, and a couple of weeks ago, she went out to lunch, and while on her break, she got a text message from a coworker.

"Could you pick up a Red Bull for me?" asked her friend. This all took place on a Friday and her friend needed a little boost to pull the day through and finish the week strong, be my guess.

So Sue slid by the gas station where she usually fills up, but it was packed, so off she went to the Eagles station down in Chapel Hill.  And while she was grabbing the Red Bull, she decided to invest in a
Colossal Cash scratch-off ticket.

"I grabbed the Red Bull and then noticed I had a $20 and a $10 bill," Manchester said. "I decided to get one of the tickets since my coworker has been winning on it recently."

Back at work, while her buddy amped up on caffeine, taurine, B vitamins (B3, B5, B6, B12) and simple sugars (sucrose and glucose) in a buffer solution of carbonated water, baking soda and magnesium carbonate, sending 80 mg of caffeine into his bloodstream*, Sue took her scratcher and found herself one million dollars richer.

"I saw the symbol and was like, 'No. This doesn't happen.'" Manchester said. "I showed the same coworker and he said, 'Sue you just won $1 million.' I still didn't believe it. It's very serendipitous. Especially since I rarely get scratch-off tickets."

She chose to receive her winnings as a $600,000 lump sum, which paid off as $423,010 after taxes. And she wins my respect for the correct usage of "serendipitous" as well!

So, the next time we're running errands and we get a text from Jim Bob back at the office, we know what to do, right?

*contents of one can of Red Bull

No comments: