Saturday, February 10, 2018

The Saturday Picture Show, February 10, 2018

With a little paint, and some stencils, and a good amount of time, even an old wall can become a work of art.
Modern houses don't have these, but I remember some from my rural upbringing. It's a milk door, and it allowed the milkman to come to your house every morning and leave fresh milk, butter, eggs and cheese. No, I am not kidding.
This is what I preach to those looking for advancement in their jobs - prepare and be ready when the chance to move up comes along. They won't wait for you to get ready. Right, Don Jr?

This looks unbelievably cool! To think, Yosemite Sam sees this every year!


Why the long face?
Amateur gardeners need not get upset when a terra cotta pot breaks. They can turn it into something even cooler!




This Eagles fan was out there with the celebrators after the Super Bowl, hefting a Crock Pot over head. He was either bringing a huge vat of Sloppy Joes for everyone, or trying to burn the place down. You decide.

This male cardinal is sitting atop a branch festooned with what they call hoarfrost. No, really. And in case you think I made that up in my adolescent mind, nuh uh. "Hoary" means old, as in gray or venerable. And "hoarfrost" has been around since circa 1290 in the Oxford English Dictionary, expressing "the resemblance of the white feathers of frost to an old man’s beard." You can bet that I worked that word into any classroom discussion into which I could wedge it.

No comments: