Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Calendar Boy

I have a certain sort of odd ability to remember certain dates and events and old phone numbers, and hardly any ability to remember the name or phone number of "What's his name" whom I met fifteen minutes ago. 

I used to smirk when my grandmother could tell you who brought the deviled eggs to the church picnic in 1947, but not what she had for lunch yesterday.

I don't laugh anymore at that sort of thing, but at least when I go walking down memory lane with a walking stick, I have some very clear reminiscences to enjoy.

Image result for 1960 nfl championship
It cost $8.
Image result for 1960 nfl championship
The game was played at the U of Penn stadium
After the Super Bowl game the other night, a radio announcer was saying that 20,859 days had elapsed between the last time the Philadelphia Eagles won the NFL championship (December 26, 1960) and Sunday's epic game.

To show how long ago that was, in the pre-Super Bowl era, that championship game was played on a Monday afternoon, since Sunday was Christmas that year, and I didn't get to see it because we went out to visit family friends.  I was home in time to see "The Andy Griffith Show," the one about the stranger coming to Mayberry and knowing everything about everyone.

20,859 days...days in which a president was killed, stupid wars began and ended (but not without staggering tolls), lifesaving medicines and surgical techniques were brought forth, people travelled to the moon, the World Wide Web was introduced, the Hubble telescope gave us views of worlds beyond, tsunamis, hurricanes and earthquakes reminded us that nature is still in charge...and the world changed 20,859 times.

I'm very happy that the Eagles won, not only because it meant that Brady and Belichick didn't, but because it allowed me to take that walk down that road.  If you're a Patriot fan for some reason, the next Super Bowl will be held in Atlanta, 362 days from today.


No comments: