Thursday, November 16, 2017

Free Weather Info!

Owing to an old football injury (I fell off a barstool watching USC vs Notre Dame) my left knee became for many years an accurate barometer. I could always tell when rain was on the way, just by noticing that it felt like pixies were driving three-inch finishing nails into my kneecap and its surroundings.

So when I had the first of my knee replacement surgeries, I had to bid a sad goodbye to my weather predictor. This was just about the time that home computers were really getting big, so at least I could go to one of the 457 weather sites online (or call 410-936-1212 - remember the C&P Telephone Company Weather Line? Remember the C&P Telephone Company?)

Now a funny thing is happening with the second of my metal left knees.  This one works fine, it's 4 years old, but it hurts again when it's fixin' to rain outside.

And that's the only place it ever rains.

Actually, I have had a pretty good set of weather indicators over the years. I have this wall-mounted weather station to tell me the
barometric pressure and indoor conditions, as well as the outdoor thermometer that gives me the temperature and the humidity inside and out, not to mention the exact-to-the-second time from the government time signal.  So I've got that going for me, too.

When my hair was long and flowing, it would tell me if the winds were strong and also if the humidity was high, because then it would get all wavy. (And now some of it has waved goodbye).

I can tell you if it's cold when my feet tell me to change from cotton socks to wool.

I can tell when the UV index is high when I get sunburned, and when I can't see for all the fog outside, I know the visibility is poor.

The only thing my ears and eyes and mind and feet can't tell me is what the dew point is, but I don't even know what that is, so never mind.

No comments: