Thursday, August 17, 2017

I should have bought Googol stock

I find mathematics endlessly fascinating, like break dancing and baklava making.  I can watch all of these things being done for hours, but I don't attempt any of them without protective equipment.

I once went break dancing.  Broke two limbs and a lamp.

Back to math.  I have spent decades trying to get math teachers and learned sages from all four corners of the globe to tell me why -7 x -7 = +49. I mean, let's say you're 7 dollars in debt (not too hard to say) and then, owing to some unwise investments and the purchase of canned hops, malt and barley, you're 7 times WORSE OFF.  The math wizards would have you thinking you're 49 bucks up, but anyone who's tried to make it paycheck to paycheck knows better. 

And take dancing! I love to watch people dance when they can really dance.  Not so much when a couple saws their way across the floor at a wedding conception, with the husband looking like the south end of a northbound horse. I mean you take some people who can get out there and do that Stank Leg or Dab or Chicken Dance, and it's fun to watch. They're really lit, as the young people say.  

I know some English Lit, but they tell me it's not the same.

In 6th grade, Mr Myers introduced us to the concept of the googol. It's a very large number, a 1 followed by a hundred zeros, known to its friends as "10 to the one hundredth power."


Image result for milton sirotta
A math guy named Edward Kasner devised the Googol in 1938, probably as a way to express in digits the amount of times I asked my parents for my own pickup truck at 16.  

It looks like this:

10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.

Kasner's nephew, 9-year-old Milton Sirotta, came up with the word Googol. At 9, I came up with the idea of sticking my thumb in the fuse box down the basement, and I'm sure Milton never thought to do that, being honorably occupied and all.

If that word seems familiar...well, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, two of the founders of the search engine Google, were always into math and wanted to use Googol as the name of their product, but someone typed it as Google, and it stuck.  

You could look it up.

No comments: