Thursday, August 24, 2017

A one-carrot ring

I once consulted a fortune teller who told me I would have more money if I stopped wasting it on fortune tellers.  I paid her 20 dollars to read my tea leaves and guide my future, but I didn't listen to her advice.  What did she take me for, a fool?

No. She took me for 20 bucks.

But I guess if you live to be 84, everything comes back to you...if not your memories, at least your engagement ring.

Say hi across the northern border to Mary Grams, late of Armena, Alberta, Canada. 13 years ago, Mary was weeding her garden on the farm her family has farmed for 105 years when he lost her engagement ring in the dirt.

She never told her husband Norman that she lost the ring, so Norman went to his reward five years ago without knowing that the ring was in the ground.

And then! recently her daughter-in-law Colleen Daley went out to dig up some carrots for dinner, taking her dog Billy out to the carrot patch with her.

And she dug up some carrots...and guess what one of the carrots grew up around!




Colleen said she pulled the carrots and noticed that this one looked a bit strange. She almost fed it to Billy the Canadian Carrot-Eating Dog but thought better of it at the last moment and threw it in the pail with the others. Later, washing the produce for dinner, she saw the ring and knew it was the one her MIL had told her husband about losing.   

So they hopped on the phone and called Mrs Grams. 

"I said we found your ring in the garden. She couldn't believe it," Daley said. "It was so weird that the carrot grew perfectly through that ring."

Grammy Grams rushed over and tried on the ring and it fit perfectly, just like the day her late hubby slid it on her finger.  

"We were giggling and laughing," she said. "It fit. After that many years it fits."

Over the years I have lost my composure, my nerve a time or two, and my mind at least once.  If you find them in your garden, I'll be right over.

No comments: