Thursday, December 17, 2015

May the 4th be with you

I was watching ABC's Good Morning America, which is a leisure time, sort of news show, owned by the Disney people.

You might forget that Disney owns ABC as well as the Star Wars movie and merchandising empire.  Hence, it's in their best interests to promote the movie they own on the tv show they own.  

After the world premiere of the latest SW movie, GMA showed human beings clamoring to see the film at an AMC theatre in LA. I was wondering why one science fiction enthusiast was hollering "More camel!  More camel!"  I have not seen any of these movies, but I do know they take place in outer space, where people have odd names and play with light sabers.  And I was perplexed because I assumed that there were no camels in outer space, since dromedaries are not known to be capable of flying.  Although, they will walk a mile for you.

It turned out that what the man was saying was not "More camel!" at all, but, rather, "Mark Hamill!"  

I know Mark Hamill is an actor, best known for being in Star Wars, and I wondered what his deal was.  Apparently he still lives off this one role in a 1977 movie, which is probably paying him somewhere between what the guy who sells popcorn at the ballpark makes and what the star third baseman gets.


But I was amused to see that Hamill is willing to write funny things on your official Star Wars® Trading Card, as seen here.  This tauntaun thing he was jockeying around in the movie is "a species of snow lizard found roaming the windswept snow plains of Hoth. The Rebel Alliance domesticated the swift creature during their stay on the ice planet, and used the animals for patrol duties outside Echo Base" according to something called Wookiepedia.

So, after all these years, this is what I have missed out on?  It's about a guy in outer space riding a lizard?

A snow lizard.  Yikes! Enjoy the movie. 

No comments: