Friday, November 14, 2014

The most wonderful time of the year



























I saw this picture on the interwovenweb the other morning, and it is a perfect example of the old maxim about a picture being worth a thousand words.

But since when have you known me to just show a picture and save my thousand words?

Here are 328:   I celebrate Christmas along with several other billion Christians around the world.  I wish people a merry Christmas and have been wished one in return a million times in my day.  I have also wished, and been wished, a happy Hanukkah, a joyous Kwanzaa, a sweet Yom Kippur, and Eid Mubarak, the congratulatory greeting on the day of Muslim festival and celebration.
It means  'MAY YOUR DAY OF EID BE A BLESSED ONE!'
And what's wrong with any of that?  I was born and raised in the Christian faith, but when a Jewish friend died, I was honored to attend the services.  A friend put a yarmulke on my head and told me what was about to happen, and it turned out to be one of the most meaningful services I've ever attended.

And when I was a young kid, maybe 10, I got out of school early one day to join the family on a trip to Washington, D.C. to attend the wedding of a relative who was marrying a Muslim fellow.  We were welcomed in the mosque on Embassy Row with kindness and warmth.

I've made friends with all sorts of people with all sort of religions, and some who have no religion.  It's not my job to tell people how they ought to worship, but it is my job to stand up for people who get knocked down because they are of the wrong faith or skin color or denomination.

So, wish me whatever holiday wish you want to wish me, or don't, as you see fit.  I am sorry for so many people who want to feel so persecuted because not everyone in the world wants to walk through the world like they do.

Wasn't it the good folks over at Walt Disney who urged us to "let it go!"?  Sorry, folks, but the holidays aren't just for Christians. The moose out front shoulda told you.


No comments: