Tuesday, July 31, 2012

All this over a soggy sandwich?

I've got no dog in this fight about Chick-Fil-A because I don't really care to eat there anyway because I don't like their food.  So it's no skin off my filet if I never go there again.

The man who runs the place, Dan Cathy, is a firm believer in Christian values, so he closes up shop on Sunday so his employees can attend church and be with their families.  And he contributes his influence and his money to the cause of promoting marriage as between just one man and just one woman.  This is what he believes.  It's in the Bible, right near where it says in Deuteronomy 22:20-21 that if a woman gets married and she is not a virgin that she shall be stoned to death.  And don't even think about having the Shrimp and Lobster pu-pu platter over at China Chow...the good book says seafood without fins is an abomination (Leviticus 10-11).

Whatever your faith, I think it's wrong to jump up and down telling people what to do with their faith.  So no, I don't give a Chick if anyone wants to eat there.

But I do wish that those who are so mad at gay rights supporters would try to see why people are upset at what they consider a biased stance.  Surely Dan Cathy has a right to his opinion, and surely Dan Savage does too. 

And here's an idea.  If you support the idea of August 1 being Eat More Chikin Day because you strongly support the right of a person to hold their own truths while running a business, then surely you'll want to join me at Jane Fonda's Fish 'n' Chips someday soon.

Right?


No comments: