Tuesday, October 6, 2026

What matters more

 Everyone was talking about Usha Vance almost taking a header while coming down the staircase off a helicopter at Joint Base Andrews yesterday. She was toting her  10-week-old infant Alec Neel Vance in a baby carrier. Fortunately, she did not fall, and no one was hurt.

SLOTUS grabbed the banister to right herself, and got back on both feet in no time at all. Listen, I have no truck with her or any member of her family. But she is a fellow human being, and being one of them myself, I cannot figure how the two Air Force airmen who were standing there with their arms at their sides, and the Marine who was saluting, did not make a move to be there to help.


 Now I saw people on social media saying, "oh you have to understand, there is a strict military protocol in these matters and they are duty-bound not to drop that bearing in any circumstance." 

But here I am, private citizen, saying that makes no sense, especially in a day and time when very high ranking gov't officials use the coarsest gutter language in the high gov't office and no one even looks askance at it any longer, and people of great importance carry on unsanctified congresses with people not their spouses and everyone just shakes their head. Man, woman, child, male, female, I believe we help someone who's about to fall especially when they have a baby in their arms. 

What good is protocol if that woman or the baby had been injured?

 

No comments: