Thursday, August 6, 2026

Slice of life

I am telling you, some times the littlest things become the biggest, you know what I mean? Here's an example:

Up in Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey, a nice quiet oceanside town, one of the 47 pizzerias they have is all up in a hassle with a customer and everyone around with social media. The whole thing started when a family brought in a cake for a kid's fifth birthday party.

You should know, if you haven't had your first morning chuckle, the pizza joint is called Joey Tomato's. There you go. 

And the family brought a cake to the restaurant, which we have all seen done 40 million times. 

But when the family asked to borrow a knife to cut the cake (which doesn't seem so unreasonable) a female who works for the Tomato's concern went a little pizza-postal, telling the family they were "inappropriate" for even asking. "You just don't walk into a restaurant and do whatever you want," she said. "OK, so when I come to your house with my candles and my cake, am I going to be able to do whatever I want to there now? You just don't walk into a restaurant and do whatever you want. It's inappropriate. You owe us an apology. I don't owe you anything," she continued, against all good sense and decorum.

Perhaps she didn't know that the people she was berating didn't just roll in there on a head of cabbage. The father of the child is Tom Jurkowski, founder of Vintage New Jersey, a website with hundreds of thousands of followers. He posted the video of the entire unpleasant thing, said his family called in advance to make sure it was ok to bring a cake, and spent around $250 on food.


Jurkowski said, "We simply asked if we could borrow a knife to cut our birthday cake. We were even willing to pay any additional fee if there was one."

It's the talk of the Jersey Shore, but Joey Tomato's isn't talking. They shut down their website and their social media is blanked. Their Yelp page has so many irate comments that there's a special note appended to it.

You have to wonder if some people have forgotten the hospitality aspect of the restaurant business. 

I imagine a lot of people are forgetting about that restaurant, whatever it was called.

No comments: