Monday, July 10, 2023

" I feel like I know you from somewhere..."

From the It's A Small World Dep't: Here's one about a labor and delivery nurse who was the first in the family to meet and hold and love a little baby girl. Now, 22 years, later, that baby is her daughter-in-law!

It all started out in Utah where Tyler West was looking through baby photos with his then-fiancĂ©e. “I think that’s my mom. It looks like she was your nurse!” Tyler said, as they saw a picture of his intended, Kelsey Poll, and the L&D nurse who brought her into the world.

It had to be a surprise, all right. What a coincidence, even though Layton, Utah, is not home to 70 million people or anything (83,291 as of 2021, to be exact.) 

The photo was from June 2001 and showed Tyler's mom prepping baby Kelsey's foot to have footprints made for her birth certificate. West says he was shocked at the coincidence, as they sat on the sofa leafing through photo albums back in March.

(Note to people preparing to enter marriage or long-term relationships: Prepare to do a lot of photo-peeping. When pictures of babies are waved in your face, resist at all costs the temptation to point out that all babies look like Leonardo DiCaprio. Trust me on that.)



Paging through the photo album, Tyler and Kelsey found her birth certificate from  Lakeview Hospital in Bountiful, Utah, on June 15, 2001, and Tyler recognized her mother's handwriting!

Next stop was Kelsey's basement, where they dug out the video her dad took at the hospital on her natal day. And you have to figure, in 2001, it was shot on one of those shoulder-busting camcorders, but there they were on video tape - the mothers-in-law of the future couple.

“I thought it was really cool — it made me feel grateful to know I had this tie to my new family,” said Kelsey Poll, 22. “I always wanted to have a good relationship with my future parents, and it also confirmed that I want to be with Tyler for the rest of my life.”

Cool indeed! Our history follows us around.

No comments: