Sunday, May 2, 2021

Sunday Rerun: There WILL always be an England (from 2017)

 I say, I like the British people, and I love England and all its history. My roots are there; the first Clarks arrived here on a rowboat being tugged across the ocean by the Mayflower, so there's that.


I've never met an English person I didn't like, and I can't even say that for all American people. Not naming names...but you know...

I have never watched this show "Suits" although I know some people who do. Fact is, if I ever ran so low on things to do that I would watch a drama on the USA Network that concerns lawyers, I'd report to my den at once and crack a book.  Over my head.

But this Meghan Markle, who has turned the world on with her smile this week, has officially announced that she will not be coming back to the role of Rachel Zane, and it turns out that the producers of the show took a gamble a year ago that her thing with Harry would work out, and so it did. So that all works out fine, except that it brings up the old joke about the guy who complains to his buddy that he hates his job at the circus because he has to follow the elephants (I told you it was an old joke) around and scoop up what they leave behind, and he hated that hokey cart and he hated the broom and garbage pan and everything else about it - the low pay, the stench, the derision from the high-wire performers, the fact that the clowns wouldn't give him a ride home in their car because, they claim, there just isn't room for one more guy in the tiny machine.

So his friend goes, "Well, why don't you quit?"

And the poopscooper says, "What? And give up show business?"

Ms Markle is giving up show business, all right, and moving to a whole new kind of stage. God Save The Princess!
Image result for meghan and harry hd
But she won't be known as Princess Meghan. It turns out that by the standards of British protocol, she lacks "royal blood" and cannot go by Princess Meghan. Same as Kate Middleton, who married Prince William, is known as Her Royal Highness, Princess William of Wales, Meghan will go by HRH Princess Harry of Wales.

I read these things and my head hurts.  She cannot be Princess Meghan, but she can be Princess Harry. Gotcha.

3 comments:

Richard Foard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard Foard said...

Their union has led countless thousands to explain how they are not racists. I find it queer that none of the non-racists I know personally has been moved to enlighten me about their lack of racism.

Markkclark@comcast.net said...

Isn't that a lot like the rabid Christiansamong us, who will give us verse and chapter on just how much holier they are than we sinners?