Thursday, November 7, 2019

The new apple of my eye

You know the old expression "An apple a day keeps the doctor away"?

I don't want to keep my doctor away. I enjoy our visits, the way he can't believe how low my cholesterol and PSA numbers are, given my opulent and sybaritic lifestyle.

And oh, how he enjoys hearing me say I plan to die, should that become necessary, of either rickets or scurvy.

But let's say there is something to this apple theory. I love apples and eat them all the time.  This time of year, there's no better snack than slicing an apple, tossing the slices in the microwave for a couple of minutes, and then sautéing the slices in a pan with some juice (apple or orange) along with nutmeg and cinnamon.  Try it! I wouldn't steer you wrong.

And here's good news for us applephiles...there's a new variety of apple, they call it the Cosmic Crisp, and it will be for sale at a grocery store near you Dec. 1.

Opening Day for a new apple line! I'll be in line.

Most of our apples come from Washington state, and yet, Cosmic Crisp is the first apple ever to be bred out there in the great Pacific Northwest. Washington growers supplied the seed money for the development of the new apple, and Washington State University did the core work, and local growers will have the exclusive right to grow these for the next ten years.

They've planted 12 million Cosmic Crisp apple trees! And that will mean that by the year 2026, they will pick enough of them to fill 21 million 40-pound boxes.



See those yellow dots all over the CC Apple? They are said to resemble faraway stars, and that's where they got the name!

“I’ve never seen an apple prettier in the orchard than these things are,” said Aaron Clark of Yakima. Mr Clark (no relation, but I wish...)has planted 80 acres full of the trees.

Kate Evans runs the breeding program at WSU, and she says this new apple will hold up well in the icebox, and she goes on to say it's really tasty!  “It’s ultra-crisp, very juicy and has a good balance of sweetness and tartness.”

If you like Honeycrisp apples, well, Cosmic Crisps are their step-family, a cross between Enterprise apples (known for being disease resistant) and the wonderful Honeycrisp.

I'm making a notation in my calendar for December 1. I wonder if the Giant Food will mind me camping out in the produce department the night before.

No comments: