Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Misspellings just jump off the page

There seems to be an recurrent discussion about the last words of the Marquis de Favras. He was born Thomas de Mahy, and became the Marquis by being a supporter of the House of Bourbon during the French Revolution.


I looked it up, and to my surprise, the House of Bourbon was not a saloon on Harford Rd. But it still might be, someday.

He was hanged in 1790 for being on the wrong side of the French Revolution, and after he read his death sentence, he shook his head ruefully and said these words which will live through the ages:

"I see you have made 3 spelling mistakes".  

I would like to think that I would respond in kind if I ever find myself in his shoes, and here's why:  

In doing my research for this blog, I came across this sentence, in which someone is suggesting that maybe we don't know if the Marquis said this, or why:

"Despite the flurry of interest, no-one seemed quite sure whether we were supposed to be commending the marquis's sangfroid, or his equally laudible regard for correct orthography."

And I shook my head, because this person misspelled laudable.

It's called Spell Check! Don't turn your back on it!



No comments: