Thursday, May 11, 2023

I really love paintings of dogs playing poker

I don't know anything about art; all I know is what I like. F'rinstance, I like it when I can look at a painting or sculpture and tell what it's supposed to be a painting or whatever of. Modern Art, where people have two eyes on one side of their head like a flounder, leaves me wanting a flounder sandwich on a kaiser roll.  I'm sorry to be such a philistine, but I don't know art from Art Van DeLay. 

Here's an example of what makes me chortle: A version of an art piece by Maurizio Cattelan -  "Comedian" -  sold for $120,000 at Art Basel Miami in 2019. The art in question here involves a banana duct-taped to a wall.

At a time when bananas in a grocery store might cost 79 cents a pound, a college kid from Seoul recently ate that $129,000 'naner because he skipped breakfast.   

Fortunately for us art devotees, this is the sort of art that grows on trees, literally. And we are told that " 'Comedian' is a frequently replaced banana that is meant to evoke everything from Charlie Chaplin's slapstick comedy to the fruit's status as an emblem of global trade."

We don't know if Noh Huyn-soo was making a statement about ephemeral art, or simply seeking to slake his morning hunger pangs when he was at Seoul's Leeum Museum of Art last week. Noh grabbed that yellow snack, gobbled it, and, ignoring the hollering of a museum guard, reattached the peel to the wall, re-using the duct tape.

My favorite part is that Noh is going around saying that what he did was art, not criminal mischief, because he "transformed" Cattelan's original work and re-displayed it.

And, the museum is not going to go after Noh for either damages or the price of a fresh banana. What's more, when they told Cattelan about the caper, he said it was "no problem."

Clearly, he knows when to pay respect to another art hustler.


 

 



No comments: