Friday, May 11, 2018

Like sands through the hourglass

We were just talking the other day about how some people beat the reaper or cheat the hangman, or whatever the expression is, and live a long long time. Talking like that leads to all sorts of thoughts, such as the perennial question about how you would feel if someone could whisper in your ear and tell you the exact date and time and way in which you will be departing this world for the next.

Not for me, thanks. I'll take my chances and keep on appreciating every day in which I can wake up and find my socks. Knowing that it all comes to end before I get to see how Season 3 of "Billions" works out would not be so great.

But if you happen to hear for sure that I am going to live to be 117, I would appreciate it if you would let me know, because I will need to buy more socks.
Image result for Nabi Tajima
Ms Tajima

The lady pictured here, Nabi Tajima, was the world’s oldest person, until passing away recently in the southern Japan town of Kikia. She was 117 and had been in the hospital since January.

She was born on August 4, 1900, and her death closes the books on "People Born In The 19th Century."  Quite an accomplishment, quite a life.

Ms Tajima raised seven sons and two daughters and had more than 160 descendants, some of whom are great-great-great grandchildren.

Just imagine paying for all those birthday cards and stamps!

Her tenure as the world's oldest person began last September upon the death of Violet Brown of Jamaica, also at the age of 117. Another  Japanese woman, Chiyo Miyako, of Kanagawa prefecture, south of Tokyo, has succeeded her as the senior senior.  She turned 117 on May 2.

112-year-old Masazo Nonaka of northern Japan, known to Miyako as "The Kid," is now the world’s oldest man.

Remember the words of the great Hank Williams, dead at 29, who wrote, "No matter how I struggle and strive, I'll never get out of this world alive."  Enjoy every day you are given, be my advice. If you live to be 117, that's 42,705 days to enjoy!

Make today one of the best of them all.

No comments: