Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Saturday Picture Show, August 3, 2013

I saw this online.  It looks old, but it might be new-trying-to-look-like-it-came-from-the 30s.  You never know.  I had an experience, though, the other day at the gas pumps.  An unpleasant woman about my age (no need to be unpleasant about my age!) started carping about:  the president, the price of gas, why she had to walk 10 feet to pay the guy in the little cinderblock hut, why the president hates all Americans, how she could have saved 3¢ per gallon by going a block further, how everyone is out to cheat her, and how she is not going to take it anymore.  I said, quite involuntarily, "Does that mean you're also not going to talk anymore?  That would be a good thing!"  I really didn't plan to say it out loud, but I did.  And I'm sort of glad.
As colossally elegant as this suit is, it takes on almost cosmic importance when you look at it, knowing that it was a suit worn by Hank Williams, Sr.  It's currently on display at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, where one of my long-ago students, Howard Halpren, saw and photographed it. If you don't care for the brand of country music that Hank more or less created singlehandedly, only to have it crushed beneath the ill-shod feet of Lady Antebellum and other "modern country" musicians, that's fine.  But for us true believers, this is like seeing the jacket that Moses was wearing when he brought down the tablets.
I used to own quite a few Lacoste shirts, with those little alligators on them.  I also had a tshirt with a picture of an alligator wearing a shirt with a picture of a little man on it.  But here is the coolest thing I've seen for a while...a woman wearing a lizard on her shirt.
The suspicion is that this person bought this vanity tag because police would let him speed, rather than run his tag for a wanted check and writing the most confusing traffic offense ticket ever.  But here is how the officer would check the tag: "10-28 and 10-29 on Ohio registration Nora Mary Nora William Mary Nora Mary."    Huh?

No comments: