Monday, January 23, 2023

Teed Off

I get an email from the US Postal Service around 7:30 every morning, showing me a little image of all the envelopes I will be getting that day.  Very efficient. Of course, the actual mail doesn't get here until 8 or 9 PM, which makes me wonder if it would be possible for the USPS to open my mail and send me a picture of the letters or bills or whatever is coming.  Just a thought.

But not even emails are perfect. Take this fellow Scott Stallings, a pro golfer by trade. He was hanging around his mailbox, looking for his invitation to play in this year's Masters tournament...and he waited, and he waited...

Stallings

And then, along came an email from another guy named Scott Stallings.

"Hi Scott. My name is Scott Stallings as well and I'm from Georgia," it said.

"My wife's name is Jennifer too! I received a FedEx today from the Masters inviting me to play in the Masters Tournament April 6-9, 2023. I'm 100% sure this is NOT for me. I play but wow! Nowhere near your level. It's a very nice package complete with everything needed to attend," he went on to say.

He concluded, "I think we have some confusion because of our names, our wife's names and geographical location."

Then he attached a video showing him dropping the invitation into his mailbox for forwarding to the intended recipient.

For every golfer that I see on Sundays around 6 PM while I wait for the news as these golf tournaments drag on endlessly, there are dozens whom we don't see in the winner's circle, donning the green jacket, shaking hands with a guy in garish pants.

The real golfer Stallings is 37 and is currently ranked as the 54th best golfer in the world, which is respectable for someone who has only won three PGA tournaments, the last of them at the Farmers Insurance Open in 2014.

But here he is, all these years, still teeing it up and going for it, and I have decided that I will root for two things this year: 

 - - for Scott Stallings to win the Masters tournament

 - - and for him to go around the course in record time so that the 6 O'Clock News comes on at 6.



No comments: