Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Rock Star

My birthday comes up at the end of June (send checks to the usual address, please) and Peggy was asking what I could possibly need at the time of a Coronavirus birthday.

Not a thing. I have enough ties, and some dress clothes and enough of my patented two-T-shirt combinations to last me a long time. Now and then, someone writes a book I want, and I generally get it from the library, free-for-nothin'. Socks, boxers, sweaters, jeans, I have more than I need.

I get my antihistamines from the Amazon now, and one of these days, I'm doggone well gonna get a bottle of histamines and let them battle it out.

But just then, along came an idea.  See, I've been in the market for a new paperweight. Loose papers on my desk tend to fly around then the oscillating fan gets around to them, and while the Dymo® LetraTag® labelmaker is sufficiently hefty to hold the ephemera down, it lacks a certain style.  But..

The perfect thing is for sale at the famed Christie's auction house.  It's a piece of the moon, even bigger than "Big Muley," the 26-pound rock that Apollo 16 brought back in 1972!
I'm not trying to start trouble, but doesn't this look like a chunk of every back road you know?
 
And we didn't even have to pay a shipping charge for this one. It's actually a lunar meteorite, known to NASA as NWA 12691, and it landed in the Sahara Desert two years ago.

This hugger is the 5th-largest lunar meteorite on earth, Christie's said. They also said that it probably got knocked loose by a collision with a comet.

I have a friend whose headlight got knocked loose by a collision with a Mercury Comet on the A&P parking lot, but that was worth a lot less than the $2.5 million that Christie's is asking for the rock.  Even if Peggy and I put our stimulus checks together, we'd still be short $2,497,600.  Plus the tax.  I'm sure there is a tax on these things.

Quick question for NASA? How do we know there aren't more meteorite chunks hurtling toward our houses at this very moment? Sure, if they land in the Sahara, no biggie, but hey, I'm not looking to get the roof repaired anytime soon.

Here on in, I'm not walking down the driveway to get the mail without a helmet.


No comments: