Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Carats are easy to digest

Stop me if you've heard this one:

"I had a crazy dream that I ate a giant marshmallow. Woke up and couldn't find my pillow."

Jenna Evans and Bobby Howell might not find that one too funny, so it wasn't just you. Jenna and Bobby are engaged.

Not long ago, she was having a dream in which the two of them were on a high-speed cargo train. In the dream, bad guys were chasing them around the train, so Bobby, IN THE DREAM, told her to take off her engagement ring and swallow it for safekeeping.

Jenna told Facebook, “So I popped that sucker off, put it in my mouth and swallowed it with a glass of water."

And that's when she woke up.

She felt a tad bit odd. She wondered at how silly it was, to have a dream in which she gobbled her 2.4 carat diamond ring like a Tic-Tac.

Then she looked at her left hand.

“When I woke up and it was not on my hand, I knew exactly where it was,” Evans told KGTV. “It was in my stomach.”

Evans has a history of sleepwalking, which is quite a coincidence, because I sleepwalked through History class time and again.

So, it was off to the Emergency Department at a hospital at 8 AM, where she finally figured out a way to tell them what was up. Or down.

A visit to X-ray later, the doctors confirmed her worst fear: Like Jonah, that ring was making a home in her ab-dome-in.

So how to get it out of there and back on her left hand?

“Every girl, I think, wants as big a ring as she can get — until you swallow it and are trying to figure out what to do next,” Evans told the news.

It might surprise anyone who ever swallowed a nickel as a kid (and you know who you are!) that the doctor said "let's not wait for nature to work things out" as it were.

It was off to the Gastroenterology Dept for Ms Evans, just as the ring started to "migrate."  It was starting to hurt.

The gastro squad decided that an upper endoscopy would be the trick: reach down there with a doodad and pluck that ring, sort of like the claw machine in the entryway at Walmart, but in someone's throat.

The doctor said, “don’t worry its no big deal,” Evans wrote, “but please sign this release form just in case you die.”

At least she got a good anesthesia, and was nodding as the doctors passed a tiny camera down her gullet and on past her stomach.

And there it was!

And then she woke up! And Bobby had the ring, handed over by the doctor.

“Bobby finally gave my ring back this morning,” Evans posted. “I promised not to swallow it again, we’re still getting married and all is right in the world.”


After recovering from the procedure, Ms Evans was back to herself. Her first request was a double-double burger from In-N-Out for lunch.

No onion rings.


No comments: