Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Broad Stripes and Bright Stars

I shouldn't make this assumption but I guess I will.  I mean, is it fair to deduce that the entertainers who sing in the Super Bowl pregame and 1/2 time show are told in advance that they will be performing at the game?  By way of proof, I have to figure that the Black Eyed Peas don't usually sit around dressed as they did for the game, and were not sitting at home chomping on Doritos when the call came to get down to the stadium and do a medley of their hit.  

Being for the Benefit of Ms Aguilera
So along those lines, this open letter to Christina Aguilera: The Star Spangled Banner was written in 1814, here in Baltimore, so that has given you plenty of time to learn the lyrics, young lady.  This is not third grade, although I would hope that most third-graders could sing the first verse of our national anthem without screwing up the lyrics.  You can click here if you want to see it again, how she kerfuffled her way through the most important song in our patriotic repertoire.   Instead of singing, "O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?" she sang, "What so proudly we watched at the twilight's last gleaming?"  And then, after the game, she issued a statement explaining her lyrical mishap. 

"I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of its anthem still came through," she said.

'C' You real soon!
I can understand nerves, even for someone who has been a spotlight performer since her days as a Mousekeeter with Britney and Justin.  And everyone makes mistakes, myself more than most.  But please, spare us that "look how patriotic I am!" excuse, and just say, "I screwed up! I got the words all wrong!  No matter how patriotic I am or am not, the point is, I got the words wrong.  Sorry!"  

How refreshing that would be!

Meanwhile, for those who have been invited to sing the anthem at Bingo halls, youth soccer opening days, and Sarah Palin's inauguration,  clip and save:

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say, does that Star-Spangled Banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

 

No comments: