Saturday, November 12, 2022

The Saturday Picture Show, November 12, 2022

 

This little guy is just bursting out of his shell to let us know he's a baby tortoise, not a turtle.
I guess we've all used these pay binoculars before. It's hard to look across the bay at the pretty boats and birds or at the spectacular scenery of Lookout Point while the clock is ticking on your 50 cents worth of binocular time.
I found a really nice place to get your nails done.
I do love a well-worn set of old tools. You can always tell when they are used by someone who knows what to do with them. Bonus points for the monkey fist bolo.
It was 1964 when I went to the New York World's Fair with my parents. We stayed in the Hotel New Yorker, which, I can assure you, was not, in 1964, an "iconic" midtown Manhattan hotel. It was clean and nice, not too deluxe, and I kept asking for Maurice, the elevator guy, but he was off that weekend.

Today's free wallpaper: Calvin and Hobbes in their lunar explorer.
Back in the 80s, the late Dinka dunker Manute Bol, at 7' 7", and 5' 3" Muggsy Bogues, the shortest NBA player ever, formed part of the Washington Bullets, now the Wizards.  A friend of mine once was sitting next to Muggsy on an airplane and said, "I feel like I know you from somewhere," to which Bogues said, "I play basketball," and my pal said, "No, really, what do you do?"
I say, let them battle it out.
I just finished a great biography of Charles Addams, the great cartoonist and creator of the Addams Family drawings, which led to the TV show, movies, and Broadway musical. There is nothing more satisfying than learning.
I'll be in the basement while everything gets sorted out with these elections and all. That's where my records are, and as they used to say on KLAC radio, "This is KLAC Country, and that's country country!"

No comments: