Saturday, November 6, 2021

The Saturday Picture Show, November 6, 2021

 

I understand we all have the right to choose how to celebrate, or not celebrate, holidays and happy days. But really, you cheap chiseler, to go to the trouble of having a fancy sign printed up just to harsh the kids' buzz? For the same money you put out to have the sign made, you couldn't just get some fun-size Snickers and treat the kids to something to make them happy? That's not really "celebrating" Halloween. It's giving a kid a candy bar. 
Meanwhile, our neighbors to the north are really getting into that anti-vacs movement.
I don't know, maybe it's all the pandemic that caused our kindness to get backed up in our minds, but what is the matter with Americans that they have to get into a fight everywhere anymore? Let the kid make your sandwich and quitjerbitchin'.
This took place in France, and demonstrates the need for strong labor unions. The picture dates to 1900, and it shows knife grinders at work. They worked in this position to save their backs from being hunched over the grinding wheel all day. These men were known as ventres jaunes. That's French for yellow stomachs, which described their midsections after a day of getting yellow grinding dust all over their chemises (shirts). And let's not say that their employers were 
sans coeur (heartless).  Why, these workers were allowed to bring their dogs with them to work to keep their legs company and to keep them warm in the grindery. 
 
I have to hope that this is a runway of an abandoned airport, or some jet passing by is going to take this bike rider for the last ride of his life!

I was wrong, the way I said Worcestershire as a kid. I needed help to learn to call it "WOR-ster-shire" sauce, and by the way, I can't imagine having a crab cake without it. But most of us just say "W" sauce, and that works too.
Reasons why I have no plans to visit Sunset Beach, North Carolina, begin and end with this man-eating beast.
I used to read these comics (without paying for them) when I found them sitting around at the A&P when I worked there, looking for advice about grown-up love and marriage. People were always saying things like, "Oh my darling, I never dreamed it could BE like this!" and the answer was never what I thought it should be: "It can't."
The happiest among us are those who can make the best of their current situation.
I love this picture, which shows that just a block or two from the seat of business and capitalist ventures, someone's underwear is hanging out to dry. Perspective.

1 comment:

Andy Blenko said...

The hardest 3 things to say - lol.