Sunday, September 7, 2008

What the "hell"?

I refer to the excellent blog called the "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks (http://quotation-marks.blogspot.com/) and I see the disease they are tracking is spreading like wildfire.


Three things about punctuation never fail to raise my hackles, and if you read a lot, you'll know why I hardly ever go around with unraised hackles.
The unneeded hyphen, the uncalled-for apostrophe, and the undesirable quotation marks are the triumvirate of dumb. One can usually score a trifecta by visiting automobile repair shops and looking for a hastily scrawled sign that reads something such as ALL-TYPES REPAIR'S DONE "BY OUR CERTIFIED STAFF".

As faithful readers (thank you!) know, I am loyal to the Mars Supermarket
(http://trulyregalmanners.blogspot.com/2008/06/kool-kid.html) chain for many reasons, not least of which is that they don't demean the Fire Department by placing signs on their standpipe connections that would question the veracity, the competence, yea the very existence of the Fire Department, as does another local grocer:



I guess I ought to be more careful about buying their "beef" or "chicken."



No comments: