Wednesday, July 29, 2026

I Yam what I Yam

People my age are often told to make serious plans for their final arrangements, which is the kind way of saying, "Figure out what kind of box you want us to shovel you into, old man." 

I will leave that to future generations. I plan to live to be a ripe old age, so I'm only 3/4 of the way through.

What I plan to so is settle just how I'll shuffle off to Buffalo, and that is going to be a long, slow shuffle. I used to tell our doctor, while he was listening to my staccato heartbeat or probing you-know-where, that I thought it would be fun to die of rickets, or scurvy, if I couldn't find somewhere to catch a case of rickets. He told me to cut down on limes.


Tell you one thing for sure - I won't go the way that American frontiersman Daniel Boone  <<<  is supposed to have gone. One legend (thoroughly disputed) says that ole Dan'l died from eating too many sweet potatoes in 1820. That will not be my undoing. I can't stand sweet potatoes, so they won't get me unless someone throws a bag of them right at my head.

Again, though, I have a long way to go before I settle my bills. I always like to leave people with a smile on their face, so let me think about it. 

No comments: